Reports of ants in the Rockwall area seem to be more common right now than usual. So, why all the ants? It may have something to do with the unusual amount of rain the Rockwall area received in May. As a whole, North Texas had record rainfall in May, it was one of the wettest on record. Ants live in the ground, but rain can push them up and cause them to move. That is one possible reason.
But, ants in general can be more visible for a variety of reasons.
Why You See Ants
- Food – Ants of course like food and with summer here it is common to have more food laying around the house…not intentionally of course. Kids are out of school and are eating at home more, which usually means more crumbs. In addition, summer months have more parties and activities, which usually involve food. So, it makes sense that the more food around the home will cause you to see more ants.
- Water – Although ants need water to survive, they don’t need large sources of it. The pharaoh ant does need to nest close to a water source, and the carpenter ant likes to nest by damp places like wood.
- Reproduction – Ants reproduce in the spring typically, but since we had a large amount of rain during that time….maybe that didn’t happen.
How to Prevent Ants in the Home
To prevent ants we have a few items to pay attention to as you maintain your home and try to keep it pest free.
- Keep food in sealed containers, this includes dog or cat food
- Wipe up spills, crumbs, etc.
- Repair leaky pipes
- Replace Damaged or Rotted Wood
- Keep kitchen clean of grease
- Keep outdoor grill free of grease (as best as possible)
If you have any pest control needs, contact us today. Ants can be annoying and can cause problems, we’re ready to help you with any of your pest control needs.